Thursday, February 28, 2008

Tracker 6 - 1st To Read Challenge



Second 1st To Read completed!



Evans Above
By Rhys Bowen

I learned of Rhys Bowen from The Lady Killers Blog - highly recommended! Last summer I devoured Bowen's Her Royal Spyness, 1st in the new series featuring Georgie, Lady Victoria Georgiana Charlotte Eugenie, cousin of King George V of England. Had I not already read this book, I would have listed it first for this challenge. Honesty - perhaps learned from my mystery obsession, the criminal is always found out - prevented my cheating with it. But it certainly inspired me to try the Evan Evans series, and am I glad I did!

As noted in my O'Artful Death post, The Arthurian Legend is one of my passions. Arthur has many Welsh ties. The Constable Evans series is set in Wales so that in itself is one of my delights with Evans Above. The mountains of Wales are associated with mystery and play a major role in this book:
Up on the mountain the sun sank, plunging the cliffs into deep shadow so that it was hard to discern what it was that lay among the rocks. a chill wind sprang up, howling through the crevices and drowning a cry that nobody heard.
The mountain watched as two climbers fell or were pushed to their deaths. Were they murdered? And were their deaths associated with a long ago death of a young soldier who froze during training exercises? How were they connected to a missing apple pie and trampled tomato plants? And then a third body is found, at the back of a cave. What if any is the connection? What is happening to the peaceful Welsh village of Llanfair? Would Evan Evans succumb to the charms of the buxom barmaid, Betsy; or would the ethereal Bronwyn win his heart? Join Constable Evan Evans as he defies the order of his DI and solves the mystery of death on the mountain by looking to the past for answers to present day questions.



Four delights with a dollop of whipped cream!!!!^

No comments: